The Chain Lightning Sorcerer build is a powerful and electrifying build that unleashes devastating electricity across the battlefield. It is specifically designed to deal massive damage to single targets or groups of enemies by chaining lightning through them. With this build, you’ll be able to storm through endgame activities with an unstoppable barrage of Chain Lightning!
If you’ve already followed our Chain Lightning Sorcerer Leveling Guide, then this build is the perfect transition into the endgame. This article will provide you with the best-in-slot gear aspects, stats, and the Paragon setup to maximize your power.
The major changes from the leveling build to this endgame build include:
- Switching from Destructive Chain Lightning to Greater Chain Lightning to form Crackling Energy.
- Using Overflowing Energy instead of Vyr’s Mastery to cooldown Unstable Currents with the added Crackling Energy.
- Replacing Arc Lash with Flame Shield to manage mana through Invigorating Conduit, Recharging Aspect, and Gear Affixes.
- Utilizing Fire Bolt Enchantment for burning effects from Devouring Blaze and Paragon.
Furthermore, the Chain Lightning Sorcerer can transform into a speed farming powerhouse with the Raiment of the Infinite, allowing you to zoom through dungeons for quick experience and loot. Check out the Telestomp Variant Section for all the details. Additionally, this build has a variant that excels at defeating Uber Lilith, the final pinnacle boss in the Echo of Hatred.
The only requirement to start using this endgame build is a character around level 50 in World Tier 3. Start a new Sorcerer character with the Chain Lightning Leveling Guide and then switch to this endgame build when you’re ready.
Strengths and Weaknesses
To compare this build with others, you can check out our build tier list.
Video Overview and Gameplay Footage
Season of the Malignant
Season 1 Patch Updates
The Season 1 Patch Update brings several changes specific to this build. Here are the details:
- Devouring Blaze bonus Critical Strike damage reduced from 10/20/30% to 7/14/21%.
- Devouring Blaze bonus Critical Strike damage to Immobilized reduced from 25/50/75% to 10/20/30%.
- Aspect of Disobedience maximum stacks reduced from 100 to 60, reducing maximum Bonus Armor % from 25%-50% to 15%-30%.
- Protection Barrier duration increased from 2 to 3 seconds.
- Mana Shield Damage Reduction increased from 5/10/15% to 7/14/21%.
- Destruction Glyph now affects all damage instead of just Core Skills.
- Fixed an issue where Aspect of Control was applying its damage bonus 3 times for Staggered bosses.
The second major update for Season 1, released on August 8th, 2023, brings some much-needed buffs to Sorcerers. The changes directly affecting this build are:
Destructive Chain Lightning:
- Chance to form Crackling Energy increased from 25% to 30%.
Greater Chain Lightning:
- Each time Chain Lightning bounces, it deals 5% increased damage for its duration.
Aspect of Unbroken Tether:
- Additional Chain Lightning bounces increased from 2 to 4.
- Each time Chain Lightning bounces, you gain 1.5-3 Mana.
Best Malignant Hearts Tier List for Chain Lightning Sorcerer
The Season 1 theme introduces Malignant Hearts that provide bonuses to your build. Here is the Malignant Heart Tier List for this build, ranked by importance. The stats displayed reflect what a level 20 character would receive as a drop.
Caged Heart of The Barber (Wrathful, Super-World Tier III): Critical Strikes and all subsequent damage within 2.0-4.0 seconds is absorbed by your target. Then, the absorbed damage erupts onto surrounding enemies. Stored damage is increased by 10% per second. – Fixed in Patch 1.1.1 to work with “on hit” effects and Lucky Hit chance.
Caged Heart of Omnipower (Wrathful, Super-World Tier IV): Core Skills that launch a projectile consume all of your Mana. For every 45-35 extra Mana consumed, you launch an additional projectile, and the damage is increased by 3.0-5.0%.
Caged Heart of Tal’Rasha (Vicious, Offensive): For each unique element you deal damage with, you deal 7-12% increased damage for 3-10 seconds. – Fixed in Patch 1.1.2 to be correctly calculated as multiplicative instead of additive.
Caged Heart of Tempting Fate (Vicious, Offensive-World Tier III): You gain 40-60% Critical Strike Damage, but your Non-Critical Strikes deal 20-15% less damage.
Caged Heart of Revenge (Brutal, Defensive-World Tier III): 10-20% of incoming damage is instead suppressed. When you use a Defensive, Subterfuge, or a Macabre skill, all suppressed damage is amplified by 250% and explodes, dealing up to 1360-2040 Fire damage to nearby enemies.
Caged Heart of Spellbreaking (Brutal, Defensive): Upon taking Elemental Damage, gain 10-20% Damage Reduction for 5 seconds. – Buffed in Patch 1.1.1 to reduce all damage taken, instead of providing resistances to individual elements.
Caged Heart of Determination (Devious, Utility): Resource-draining effects are 40-50% less effective. In addition, gain 3.0-8.0% increased Resource Generation.
Caged Heart of the Dark Dance (Vicious, Offensive-World Tier III): Every 5 seconds while above 60% Life, Core Skills cost 68-51 Life instead of your Primary Resource. Skills that consume Life deal 10-20% increased damage.
Caged Heart of the Picana (Vicious, Offensive): Critical Strikes electrically charge the enemy for 0.75-2.50 seconds, causing lightning to arc between them and any other charged enemies, dealing 68-136 Lightning damage.
Skill Tree Points and Skill Bar
The following tables show the full allocation of Skill Points for the Chain Lightning Sorcerer build. The first table includes the most important 49 points to start the build, while the second table includes the remaining 9 points that are allocated once you obtain all Skill Points from Renown.
[Insert skill tree images here]
Non-Ultimate Skills can be equipped in two available Enchantment Slots. However, a skill must have at least one skill point allocated to it to be used in the Enchantment Slot. Skill points granted through gear also work.
Slot Fire Bolt in the first Enchantment Slot. This applies Burning to enemies for Devouring Blaze and Burning Effects from Paragon. Do not equip Fire Bolt on the Skill Bar.
Slot Chain Lightning in the second Enchantment Slot for additional casts to increase DPS.
The Paragon progression system unlocks after reaching Level 50 and offers a significant boost to character power. It is divided into different bonuses, ranging from minor stat enhancements on Magic Nodes to more significant gains with Rare Glyphs and Legendary Nodes.
Additional Bonus requirements on Rare Glyphs may not be obtainable until they gain increased radius range at Level 15.
Below, we have compiled a list of the most beneficial nodes for the Chain Lightning Sorcerer build, sorted in the order obtained in Paragon.
[Insert Paragon image here]
Mechanics and Playstyle
The Chain Lightning Sorcerer is highly mana-efficient due to Recharging Aspect and Crackling Energy utility. Destructive Chain Lightning forms Crackling Energy to absorb for Mana gains with Shocking Impact. Crackling Energy also reduces the cooldown of Unstable Currents, Teleport, and Lightning Spear with Overflowing Energy.
The stun from Invoked Lightning Spear activates Static Surge for Mana generation and Aspect of Control for more damage.
Cast Frost Nova to freeze an entire pack of enemies and apply Vulnerable with Mystical Frost Nova.
Use the following rotation to optimize damage:
- Cast Teleport (If you have Raiment of the Infinite) or Lightning Spear to stun enemies.
- Cast Frost Nova to freeze enemies and apply Vulnerable with Mystical Frost Nova.
- (Optional) Activate Unstable Currents against tough Elites and Bosses. This Ultimate Skill can be used often due to Overflowing Energy, but make sure it is available for Bosses at the end of dungeons.
- Activate Flame Shield for 25% Mana Cost Reduction. Alternatively, save this Skill to break Crowd Controls.
- Spam Chain Lightning.
- Repeat the rotation, making sure to allow Mana to fill completely before using Frost Nova.
Gear Choice and Stats
While farming with your Chain Lightning Sorcerer, make sure to pick up all Rare Item drops that may be upgrades. Additionally, save Legendary Items that have useful aspects in your stash to be used later or for extraction and imprinting onto well-rolled Rare Items.
A Dagger and Focus setup is preferred over a Staff for the extra Cooldown Reduction rolls. A Focus has a Cooldown Reduction implicit, as well as a possible affix mod. This build does not require Lucky Hit Chance from the Wand implicit, so equip a Dagger for the Increased Damage to Close Enemies.
Mana Cost Reduction is an important stat to spam more Chain Lightning. Maximum Mana allows for more casts above 100 Mana for Elementalist’s Aspect. Lucky Hit Chance to Restore Primary Resource is helpful for Mana generation.
Remember to replace outdated gear often and upgrade new gear at the Blacksmith to increase Item Levels further, as higher Item Level gear provides higher stat values.
Here is the Stat Priority List:
- DPS value, Critical Strike Damage, Vulnerable Damage, Lightning Critical Strike Damage
- DPS value, Cooldown Reduction, Mana Cost Reduction, Lucky Hit Chance to Restore Primary Resource
- Critical Strike Chance
- Cooldown Reduction, Maximum Mana, Armor
- Armor, Damage Reduction, DR from Close Enemies, DR from Distant Enemies, DR from Burning Enemies
- Ranks of Chain Lightning, Critical Strike Chance, Lightning Critical Strike Damage
- Armor, Damage Reduction, DR from Close Enemies, DR from Distant Enemies, DR from Burning Enemies
- Mana Cost Reduction
- Ranks of Frost Nova
- Ranks of Teleport
- Cooldown Reduction, Mana Cost Reduction
- Ranks of the Devouring Blaze Passive
- Ranks of All Defensive Skills
- Critical Strike Chance, Critical Strike Damage, Vulnerable Damage, Lightning Critical Strike Damage
Legendary Aspects and Codex of Power
Here are the best-in-slot Aspects found on Legendary Items that are important for the Chain Lightning Sorcerer build. Aspects from the Codex of Power can be used if you cannot find the proper Legendary drops, but they have weaker effects. Extract Aspects from lower-level Legendary Items and imprint them onto better Rare Items with preferred stats.
Recharging Aspect: This is a core aspect of the build, as it enables Chain Lightning to return Mana for sustainability. Obtain this Aspect in the Codex of Power by completing Zenith Dungeon in Fractured Peaks.
Aspect of the Unbroken Tether: This aspect further increases damage and Mana gains with more bounces.
Frostblitz Aspect: Although it initially seems to have a negative effect by increasing the Cooldown on Frost Nova, it has an unexpected interaction that reduces Cooldown by 2 seconds for every kill when you have 2 maximum charges. This interaction makes Frostblitz Aspect worth using when it normally wouldn’t be.
Prodigy’s Aspect: This aspect can be used on a Ring instead of Conceited Aspect if you are struggling with Mana sustain. However, it’s more ideal to get the necessary Mana Cost Reduction, Lucky Hit Chance to Restore Primary Resource, and Maximum Mana instead.
Aspect of Binding Embers (Optional): This aspect is an alternative to Exploiter’s Aspect for Immobilize to activate more damage from Devouring Blaze. Additionally, the unhindered movement helps when you get stuck on monsters with the Telestomp Variant.
Accelerating Aspect: This aspect provides Attack Speed for more DPS, but its effectiveness diminishes with other sources of stacking Attack Speed. Mana is also drained faster with increased Attack Speed. It’s recommended to use Offensive Aspects with separate damage multipliers, such as Conceited Aspect and Storm Swell Aspect.
Raiment of the Infinite: This unique Chest Armor synergizes well with the build to group and stun enemies, activating Aspect of Control and Static Surge. It can drop globally in World Tier 3 or 4 with a very low chance.
Penitent Greaves (Optional): These unique Boots provide a damage-increasing effect in a gear slot that doesn’t allow for Offensive Aspects. The Chill effect also provides an alternative activation of Hoarfrost for more damage outside of Frost Nova. However, they don’t have the preferred implicit effect, “Attacks Reduce Evade’s Cooldown,” for the Telestomp Variant.
Not Recommended Unique Items: The Oculus is not recommended due to its random Teleport location. Fists of Fate and Frostburn are not worthwhile compared to well-rolled Legendary Gloves with +4 Ranks to Chain Lightning, Attack Speed, Critical Strike Chance, Lightning Critical Strike Damage, and an Offensive Aspect. Iceheart Brais is also not recommended because the occasional Frost Nova on enemy death is not necessary for this build.
Here are the best Gems to socket into gear for each slot type:
- Weapon: Royal Emerald for Critical Strike Damage to Vulnerable Enemies.
- Armor: Royal Ruby for Maximum Life or Royal Topaz to prevent deaths from chain Crowd Controls.
- Jewelry: Malignant Hearts if playing Season 1. Otherwise, Royal Skull for Armor.
Elixirs and Health Potions
Visit the Alchemist in any main town to craft helpful Elixirs that increase stats and experience gain for 30 minutes. Craft a Precision Elixir for Critical Strike Chance and Damage, or an Assault Elixir for Attack Speed.
Make sure to upgrade your potion when you reach Level 20, 30, 45, 60, 70, 80, and 90 for extra healing to ensure survival.
Telestomp Chain Lightning Sorcerer Build Variant
The Telestomp Chain Lightning Sorcerer is a Stun variant build created by Lexyu. It is designed to speed farm Normal or Nightmare Dungeons even faster for more experience and loot. Telestomping refers to using Teleport offensively on top of enemies to vortex and stun them.
Note: This version of the build requires the unique Chest Armor, Raiment of the Infinite. It can drop globally in World Tier 3 or 4 with an extremely low chance, so keep farming with the original version of the build until you find it.
Evade is transformed into another Teleport using an Enchantment. Both Teleports stun enemies with Raiment of the Infinite to gain Mana from Static Surge, allowing you to move quickly through dungeons while unleashing endless Chain Lightning!
The Skill Tree and Paragon setups remain unchanged from the original version of the build. All changes made for the Telestomp Variant are included in the sections below.
Enchantment Slots for Telestomp Chain Lightning Sorcerer
Replace Chain Lightning with Teleport in the Enchantment Slots to make use of the stun effect from Raiment of the Infinite. The additional Chain Lightning procs are no longer necessary when Damage Per Second (DPS) is high enough. The extra Teleport that replaces Evade also benefits from additional Ranks to Teleport, Cooldown Reduction, and “Attacks Reduce Evade’s Cooldown” implicit effect on Boots.
Fire Bolt stays in the other Enchantment Slot due to the strong benefits of Devouring Blaze and Burning Effects from Paragon.
Mechanics and Playstyle for Telestomp Chain Lightning Sorcerer
Stun provides an alternative way to Crowd Control (CC) enemies, reducing the dependency on Frost Nova for Freezing. Reserve Frost Nova for tougher elites and larger groups of enemies.
Use the Evade Teleport foremost and often, as the Cooldown is easily reduced with the Boots implicit effect, “Attacks Reduce Evade’s Cooldown by 1.2 Seconds.” Use the normal Teleport on the Skill Bar as a backup whenever Evade Teleport is unavailable. Get into a rhythm of telestomping a group of enemies from a distance to engage, spamming Chain Lightning, and then moving on to the next pack to repeat.
Gear Choices for Telestomp Chain Lightning Sorcerer
Most of the stat priorities remain the same for the Telestomp version of the Chain Lightning Sorcerer. However, there are some major differences:
Equip Boots with the implicit effect, “Attacks Reduce Evade’s Cooldown by 1.2 Seconds.” Upgrade the Boots 5 times at the Blacksmith to maximize the effect.
Prefer +4 Ranks to Teleport in addition to +4 Ranks to Frost Nova on Boots.
Consider swapping to a Staff with Smiting Aspect to stagger Bosses quickly with telestomps.
Uber Lilith Build Variant for Chain Lightning Sorcerer
The Chain Lightning Sorcerer excels at defeating Uber Lilith, the final pinnacle boss in the Echo of Hatred. To optimize your performance against Uber Lilith, follow these changes to the original endgame build:
Drop the Crackling Energy utility entirely in exchange for maximum DPS:
- Remove all Skill Points from Static Discharge and Invigorating Conduit to obtain Convulsions Level 3 and Devastation Level 2.
- Switch from Destructive Chain Lightning to Greater Chain Lightning.
- Switch from Overflowing Energy to Vyr’s Mastery.
Replace Caged Heart of The Barber with Caged Heart of Omnipower. Obtain a Recharging Aspect with a maximum roll of 3 Mana to completely refill the Mana Pool. Reach projectile count breakpoints with Elixir of Resourcefulness, Devastation, and any Maximum Mana affixes available on gear. Calculate the breakpoints by adding the Mana cost of your Chain Lightning and the cost of each additional projectile from Caged Heart of Omnipower.
Equip Chain Lightning in an Enchantment Slot for an additional projectile to boost DPS further. Keep Fire Bolt in the other slot.
Elementalist’s Aspect is no longer used due to its incompatibility with the additional Chain Lightning procs from Caged Heart of Omnipower, Chain Lightning Enchantment, and Unstable Currents. Instead, increase Critical Strike Chance with Esu’s Heirloom combined with another Movement Speed affix on the Amulet.
There are two options to replace Elementalist’s Aspect on the Amulet, depending on whether you want to perform gear swaps during the fight:
- Equip a Staff with Smiting Aspect to Stagger quickly, and then swap to a Staff with Aspect of Control to deal more damage. Fists of Fate can also be swapped back and forth with your Legendary Gloves for more Stagger.
- Alternatively, use an Amulet with Aspect of Ancient Flame combined with Esu’s Ferocity to gain 75% increased Attack Speed.
- September 6th, 2023: Added Uber Lilith Build Variant section.
- August 20th, 2023: Redesigned the Not Recommended Unique Items section. Added The Oculus to the list.
- August 15th, 2023: Adjusted Malignant Heart rankings based on Patch 1.1.1 changes. Noted fixes and adjustments for specific Malignant Hearts.
- August 10th, 2023: Removed Ice Armor and replaced it with Conduction for 2 Skill Points. Equipped Lightning Spear on the Skill Bar instead.
- August 9th, 2023: Released the guide for Patch 1.1.1.