‘Life is a pair of chopsticks, serving us sweet, sour, bitter and spicy. Where possible let’s make life sweet.’ The original sweet and sour sauce originated in the province of Hunan, China. The sauce was a light vinegar and sugar mixture with very little resemblance to the bright orange dish served in many restaurants today.
- Preparation times: 10 minutes
- Cooking times: 15 minutes
- Serves: 2
- groundnut oil for frying
- 300 g (10½oz) pork loin, chopped into 2 cm (¾in) cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50 g (½ cup) cornflour (cornstarch)
For the sweet and sour sauce
- 240 ml (1 cup) orange juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ red (bell) pepper, DE-seeded and roughly chopped
- ½ small onion, roughly chopped
- a handful of pineapple chunks (fresh or tinned)
- 3 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with 6 tbsp water
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!