I have many fond memories of this dish from my youth. One of my closest friends lived a few streets away from our restaurant and without fail he would order OK Beef and fried rice every night, which meant we always had time for a quick catch up. Although this recipe was developed in the UK for western taste-buds, it is enjoyed throughout the world and has become a firm favorite on the menu in many Cantonese restaurants.
- Preparation times: 5 minutes
- Cooking times: 10 minutes
- Serves: 4
- groundnut oil for deep-frying, plus ½ tbsp
- 1 egg, beaten
- 340 g (12 oz) beef fillet, thinly sliced
- 100 g (1 cup) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
For the OK sauce
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 125 ml (½ cup) tomato ketchup
- 4 tbsp brown sauce
- 100 g (½ cup) white or brown sugar
- 1½ tsp cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with 2 tbsp water
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!