I first tried this version of Crunchy Shrimp Balls at Ton Kiang, one of my favorite Chinese restaurants in San Francisco when I lived there many years ago, When my order arrived, I was immediately drawn to its appearance— golden-hued shrimp balls blanketed with crispy, shredded spring roll skins. At first bite I was smitten and fell instantly in love with this dainty appetizer. The spring roll skins make every bite a brittle crunch and, once you sink your teeth into the middle, the sweetness of the shrimp prevails.
Makes 10 or serves 2 as an appetizer or snack
- 1 recipe Shrimp Mousse
- 6 pieces store-bought spring roll wrapper, 8 in square (20 cm square) in size Oil, for deep-frying
- Separate each sheet of the spring roll wrapper by hand.
- Make the Fried Shrimp Balls by following the instructional picture guide on the opposite page.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5 cm) of the oil in a wok or stockpot to 350°F (175°C) for deep-frying. Gently drop the shrimp balls into the oil and deep-fry in batches.
- Deep-fry until they turn golden brown. Dish out with a strainer or slotted spoon, draining the excess oil by laying the Crunchy Shrimp Balls on a wire rack or a dish lined with paper towels. Serve immediately.
HOW TO MAKE THE SHRIMP BALLS
- Roll three sheets of the spring roll wrapper into a loose cylinder. Using a pair of scissors, cut the wrappers into thin strips, about 1/8 inch (3 mm) in width. Repeat the same for the remaining wrappers. Loosen the cut wrappers by hand and transfer them to a plate. Cover with a damp cloth to prevent drying.
- Wet both palms with some water and gently roll about 1 heaping tablespoon of the Shrimp Mousse into a ball.
- Place the shrimp ball on top of the cut wrappers and roll it around to coat evenly.
- The shrimp ball should be completely covered with a layer of cut wrappers and will resemble a fuzzy ball. Repeat the same for the remaining Shrimp Mousse.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!