An Overview of the Build
The Flurry Rogue build is all about rapidly and efficiently dispatching enemies in Diablo 4. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the optimal setup for Skills, Gear, and Paragon, allowing you to maximize your character’s potential in endgame activities. With the Flurry skill as your main source of damage, you’ll penetrate through every enemy in your path with multiple hits. To turn Flurry into a devastating Area of Effect (AoE) attack, you’ll need Aspect of Encircling Blades, which can be obtained by extracting an Aspect from a Legendary Item or unlocking it in the Codex of Power. Extracted Aspects are preferred for their stronger effects. This AoE build is perfect for players who prefer a straightforward playstyle that excels at clearing groups of enemies. However, if you’re looking for even more single target damage, be sure to check out our Dual Core Flurry Rapid Fire Rogue build. Note that this endgame build guide assumes your character is around Level 50 in World Tier 3. If you need help reaching that level, refer to our Rogue Leveling Guide.
Strengths and Weaknesses
Before we dive into the specifics of the build, let’s take a moment to understand its strengths and weaknesses. For a detailed comparison with other builds, feel free to refer to our build tier lists.
Season 1 Patch Updates
In the Season 1 Patch Update, several changes were made specifically to this build. Here are the key changes:
- Siphoning Strikes now requires a Lucky Hit chance of 75%.
- Aspect of Retribution bonus damage to Stunned enemies has been reduced from 20-40% to 10-20%.
- Aspect of Disobedience maximum stacks have been reduced from 100 to 60, resulting in a decrease in maximum Bonus Armor % from 25%-50% to 15%-30%.
- Vengeful Aspect Lucky Hit Chance has been increased from 30-50% to 40-60%.
Additionally, critical strike damage and vulnerable damage from multiple sources have been globally reduced for all classes. However, Rogues have not received any major damage nerfs directly to their class. In fact, other classes have been hit harder with nerfs, making Rogue an excellent choice for Season 1.
The second major update for Season 1, Patch 1.1.1, was released on August 8th, 2023. This patch brings a few buffs to Rogues. Specifically for the Flurry build, the Lucky Hit chance for Siphoning Strikes has been increased from 75% to 85%, partially reversing the nerf introduced at the beginning of Season 1.
Best Malignant Hearts Tier List for Flurry Rogue
The Season 1 theme introduces Malignant Hearts, which provide build-altering bonuses. These hearts are divided into four categories, each with a corresponding color that needs to be socketed in the corresponding colored Malignant Socket on equipped jewelry. Please note that Wrathful Hearts are a special case due to their rarity and can be placed in any socket. In order to optimize your build, always socket Malignant Hearts instead of a Skull in your jewelry. Malignant Hearts provide an Armor bonus that scales with their Item Power. The following is our Malignant Hearts Tier List for Flurry Rogue, ranked by importance. The listed stats reflect what a Level 20 character would receive as a drop.
Caged Heart of The Barber (Wrathful, Super-World Tier III):
- Critical Strikes and all subsequent damage within 2.0-4.0 seconds is absorbed by your target. Then, the absorbed damage erupts onto surrounding enemies. Stored damage is increased by 10% per second.
- Fixed in Patch 1.1.1 to work with “on hit” effects and Lucky Hit chance.
Caged Heart of Revenge (Brutal, Defensive-World Tier III):
- 10-20% of incoming damage is instead suppressed. When you use a Defensive, Subterfuge, or a Macabre skill, all suppressed damage is amplified by 250% and explodes, dealing up to 1360-2040 Fire damage to nearby enemies.
Caged Heart of Tempting Fate (Vicious, Offensive-World Tier III):
- You gain 40-60% Critical Strike Damage, but your Non-Critical Strikes deal 20-15% less damage.
Caged Heart of the Dark Dance (Vicious, Offensive-World Tier III):
- Every 5 seconds while above 60% Life, Core Skills cost 68-51 Life instead of your Primary Resource. Skills that consume Life deal 10-20% increased damage.
Caged Heart of the Picana (Vicious, Offensive):
- Critical Strikes electrically charge the enemy for 0.75-2.50 seconds, causing lightning to arc between them and any other charged enemies, dealing 68-136 Lightning damage.
Caged Heart of Cluster Munitions (Vicious, Offensive):
- Lucky Hit: You have up to a 20% chance to launch 3 Stun Grenades that deal 26-32 Physical damage and Stun enemies for 0.50 seconds.
Caged Heart of the Clipshot (Devious, Utility):
- Lucky Hit: Up to a 20-40% chance for your Cutthroat Skills to Slow enemies by 40% for 3 seconds and your Marksman Skills to Knock Back enemies.
Skill Tree Points and Skill Bar
To make the most out of the Flurry Rogue build, it’s crucial to allocate your Skill Points wisely. The following tables provide a breakdown of the recommended Skill Points allocation for the build. The first table includes the most vital 48 points to kickstart the build, while the second table covers the remaining 10 points that should be allocated once you obtain all Skill Points from Renown.
Skill Point Allocation (48 Points)
Skill Point Allocation (10 Additional Points)
Flurry Rogue Specialization
For general farming, Combo Points is the preferred Rogue Specialization for the Flurry Rogue build. With Combo Points, you can build up your combo count with Puncture and unleash additional damage for Flurry. However, for long single target fights such as World Bosses, you can swap to Inner Sight. With Inner Sight, the harder you hit, the faster you fill up your Inner Sight Gauge, which grants you unlimited Energy for 4 seconds. This specialization is particularly useful for strong characters who can benefit from increased Flurry usage.
Unlocking the Paragon progression system at Level 50 will significantly enhance your character’s power. The Paragon Board offers a wide range of bonuses, from minor stats on Magic Nodes to more powerful Rare Glyphs and Legendary Nodes. As you progress through the Paragon Board, it’s important to prioritize Damage, Dexterity, Resistance, and Life for Normal and Magic Nodes. Keep in mind that the radius of Glyphs increases as you level them up, so if you can’t meet the Additional Bonus requirements early on, it’s better to allocate extra nodes later. Here are the recommended Legendary Nodes and Rare Glyphs to use for the Flurry Rogue build, listed in the order they can be obtained in Paragon.
- Path to the first Glyph Socket along the right side of the first Paragon Board and insert Closer. Purchase all Dexterity nodes within the radius for the Additional Bonus.
- Obtain Lawless nearby.
- Obtain Skillful nearby and purchase 3 Magic Nodes providing Damage.
- Continue down the left side to Resilience and purchase 2 surrounding Magic Nodes providing Maximum Life.
- Continue up the left side of the first Paragon Board to your first Board Attachment Gate. Attach Tricks of the Trade after rotating the board clockwise 2 times.
Tricks of the Trade (2nd Board)
- Path up and left to Brawler. Purchase all 5 surrounding Magic Nodes.
- Continue up, right, and then up to Tricks of the Trade.
- From the route between Brawler and Tricks of the Trade, path right and down to Shadow Resilience. Purchase 2 surrounding Magic Nodes providing Maximum Life.
- From the route between Brawler and Tricks of the Trade, path up to Lawless. Purchase 3 Magic Nodes providing Armor.
- Continue up to the Glyph Socket. Insert Chip and purchase all Dexterity nodes within the radius.
- Obtain Focused nearby and purchase 3 Magic Nodes providing Damage to Elites.
- From the Glyph Socket, path left and up to Havoc. Purchase all surrounding Magic Nodes.
- From Focused, path straight up to the Board Attachment Gate at the top. Attach Exploit Weakness after rotating the board clockwise 1 time.
Exploit Weakness (3rd Board)
- Path up and right to Unassailable. Purchase all 5 surrounding Magic Nodes.
- Continue up to Exploit Weakness.
- From the route between Unassailable and Exploit Weakness, path left to Exploit. Purchase all 5 surrounding Magic Nodes.
- Continue up to the Glyph Socket. Insert Combat and purchase all Intelligence nodes within the radius.
- Obtain Artifice nearby and purchase 3 Magic Nodes providing Vulnerable Damage.
- Obtain Dosage nearby and purchase 3 Magic Nodes providing Potion Healing.
- From the route between Unassailable and Exploit Weakness, path right to Cold Resilience and purchase 2 Magic Nodes providing Maximum Life.
- Continue back up to Hunter Killer and purchase all 5 surrounding Magic Nodes.
- Take the shortest route to the Board Attachment Gate on the left side of the board. Attach Deadly Ambush after rotating the board clockwise 2 times.
Deadly Ambush (4th Board)
- Path left and up to Poison Resilience. Purchase 2 surrounding Magic Nodes providing Maximum Life.
- Continue left and up to Deadly Ambush.
- Continue down to the Glyph Socket. Insert Exploit and purchase all Strength nodes within the radius.
- Obtain Engineering nearby and purchase 3 Magic Nodes providing Damage to Enemies Affected by Trap Skills.
- Obtain Cunning nearby and purchase 3 Magic Nodes providing Damage Reduction from Enemies Affected by Trap Skills.
- From Deadly Ambush, path right to Trapper and purchase 2 Magic Nodes providing Damage to Enemies Affected by Trap Skills.
For a visual representation of the entire Paragon tree, you can check the Paragon page on the planner here.
Mechanics and Playstyle
The Flurry Rogue build is relatively straightforward to play. With Flurry as your primary skill, you’ll deal significant AoE damage around you. It’s important to note that certain Passives and Legendary Nodes, such as Close Quarters Combat, Concussive, Weapon Mastery, Exploit, and Malice, will further increase your damage output. While dealing massive damage, you’ll also need to prioritize survivability. Passives like Agile, Sturdy, and Debilitating Toxins will help increase your survivability. Additionally, the Siphoning Strikes skill and Enhanced Flurry will provide you with sustain, keeping your Life high. For improved mobility, utilize Stutter Step and Haste, allowing you to move quickly through the battlefield. Make use of Dash and Shadow Step, your two Mobility Skills, to swiftly navigate through enemy hordes.
In terms of imbuing your weapons, it’s recommended to choose Poison Imbuement over Shadow Imbuement, as it enhances your single target damage. Poison Trap doesn’t focus on dealing damage, but rather on applying a Knockdown effect with Enhanced Poison Trap. To keep enemies Poisoned, alternate between Poison Trap and Poison Imbuement.
The Flurry Rogue build utilizes multiple status effects to incapacitate enemies. By using Fundamental Puncture, you can easily apply Vulnerable to a target with a single Basic attack. Follow up with Improved Flurry to spread Vulnerable to every enemy within the AoE. In group play, applying this debuff to entire groups of enemies will make them take 20% more damage from your teammates.
Once enemies are Vulnerable, Mangler’s Aspect has a Lucky Hit chance to Daze them. Critical Strikes against Dazed enemies will knock them down with Trick Attacks, activating the Concussive effect, which grants you increased Critical Strike Chance.
To further amplify your damage, stack bonuses on gear and the Paragon Board that enhance damage against Poisoned, Vulnerable, Dazed, Stunned, and Controlled Enemies.
To optimize your DPS, follow this rotation:
- (Optional) Use Shadow Step to stun an elite enemy or Dash to reposition around enemies.
- Alternate between Poison Trap and Poison Imbuement to keep enemies Poisoned.
- Cast Puncture 1-3 times to build Combo Points.
- Unleash Flurry in the middle of enemy packs.
- Repeat the rotation, ensuring that you alternate between Flurry and Puncture to activate Close Quarters Combat, Aspect of the Expectant, and the Tricks of the Trade Legendary Paragon Node.
Gear Choice and Stat Priority in the Endgame
To ensure your character is equipped for success, consider the following gear choices and prioritize the corresponding stats. It’s always a good idea to pick up any Rare Item drops that may be upgrades while you’re farming with the Flurry Rogue build. Additionally, save Legendary Items with useful aspects in your stash so you can extract and imprint them onto well-rolled Rare Items later.
When comparing weapons with similar item levels, Swords are preferred over Daggers due to their higher damage per hit and the Critical Strike Damage implicit. For ranged weapons, the DPS value is not as important, so prioritize affix values instead. Crossbows are preferable to Bows due to the Vulnerable Damage implicit.
Stat Priority List
The following list outlines the affixes to prioritize on gear for Flurry Rogues. Each line represents the order of importance, with affixes on the same line considered to be equally important. Keep in mind that the exact values of these stats may differ for each character. The most crucial and sometimes vital stats are bolded.
- DPS value, Critical Strike Damage, and Vulnerable Damage
- Basic Attack Speed, Cooldown Reduction, Armor
- Armor, Damage Reduction, DR from Close Enemies, DR from Distant Enemies
- Ranks of Flurry, Attack Speed, and Critical Strike Chance
- Armor, Damage Reduction, DR from Close Enemies, DR from Distant Enemies
- Energy Cost Reduction
- Energy Cost Reduction
- Ranks of Malice, Exploit, or Weapon Mastery Passive
- Critical Strike Chance and Damage, Vulnerable Damage
Legendary Aspects and Codex of Power
To optimize your build, it’s crucial to equip the best-in-slot Aspects found on Legendary Items. These Aspects can significantly enhance your character’s performance. If you cannot find the proper Legendary drops, you can use Aspects from the Codex of Power, although they have weaker effects. Extracting Aspects from lower-level Legendary Items and imprinting them onto better-rolled Rare Items with preferred stats is a viable option.
Here is a list of the best Legendary Aspects for the Flurry Rogue build:
- Shadow Step
Certain Unique Items can greatly enhance your build. Here are the details of one of the recommended Unique Items:
- Condemnation: Your Core Skills deal [20 – 40%] increased damage when spending 3 Combo Points. Your Skills using this weapon have a 30% chance to generate 3 Combo Points.
Condemnation synergizes well with this Combo Points build, providing an additional damage multiplier.
However, there are some Unique Items that are not recommended for this build due to their limited effectiveness. Here’s a list of those items and the reasons why they are not worthwhile:
- Skyhunter: This Unique Bow results in a significant DPS loss compared to a Legendary Crossbow with well-rolled affixes, a Vulnerable Damage implicit, and an Offensive Aspect with a +100% bonus effect on 2-Handed Weapons.
- Asheara’s Khanjar: While the Attack Speed bonus on this Unique Dagger is decent, the rest of its affixes are lacking. A Legendary Sword with well-rolled affixes and an Offensive Aspect will be more beneficial.
- Grasp of Shadow: Although these Unique Gloves provide up to +3 Ranks for all Core Skills, Legendary Gloves with +4 Ranks of Flurry are superior. Additionally, the summoned Shadow Clone attack deals significantly less damage than the original attack it copies.
- Temerity: These Unique Pants offer a consistent Barrier when paired with Siphoning Strikes. Conceited Aspect can also be used with this Barrier generation to increase damage. However, this build already has enough Offensive Aspect choices. Using Temerity causes you to miss out on 4 Damage Reduction affixes and an Aspect from Legendary Pants, making them not worthwhile.
Selecting the appropriate Gems to socket into your gear is crucial for maximizing your build’s effectiveness. Here are the recommended Gems for each slot type in the Flurry Rogue build:
- Weapon: Royal Emerald for Critical Strike Damage to Vulnerable Enemies.
- Armor: Royal Ruby for Maximum Life or Royal Topaz to prevent deaths from chain Crowd Controls.
- Jewelry: Malignant Hearts for Season 1. Otherwise, Royal Skull for Armor.
Elixirs and Health Potions
Crafting Elixirs at the Alchemist can provide helpful stat boosts and experience gain for 30 minutes. Make sure to gather the necessary crafting materials during your adventures, as they randomly spawn around the world. For optimal results, craft a Precision Elixir or Assault Elixir. Once you reach Level 20, 30, 45, 60, 70, 80, and 90, remember to upgrade your Health Potion for extra healing, which is essential for survival.
Stay up to date with the latest changes to the build by referring to the following Changelog:
- August 30th, 2023: Added “Not Recommended Unique Items” section.
- August 2nd, 2023: Added Patch 1.1.1 section, which includes another Siphoning Strike change.
- July 18th, 2023: Guide updated for Season 1.
- July 14th, 2023: Reevaluated Stat Priority List.
- July 12th, 2023: Reevaluated Aspects.
With this Flurry Endgame Rogue Build Guide, you’re now equipped with the knowledge to build a formidable character in Diablo 4. Enjoy your journey through the dark and treacherous world of Sanctuary!