This dish is commonly found in Cantonese-style Chinese restaurants and noodle shops. It’s one of my favorite noodle dishes especially when I have a craving for rice vermicelli. The fresh bean sprouts, onion, and green bell peppers provide great textures, while the red chili garnish adds its spiciness. Ketchup and sugar deliver a sweet-and-sour flavor that is both appetizing and mouthwatering. This recipe yields a substantial and ideal lunch dish and it’s absolutely delicious.
Serves 3 as a main dish
- 8 oz (250 g) dried rice vermicelli
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 onion, cut into rings
- 4 oz (100 g) Cantonese BBQ pork, cut into thin strips
- 6 shelled and deveined medium-sized raw shrimp
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 1/2 small carrot, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups (100 g) fresh bean sprouts, ends trimmed
- 1 green onion (scallion), cut into 2 in (5 cm) lengths
- 11/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 red finger-length chili, deseeded and cut into thin matchstick strips
- Soak the dried rice vermicelli in warm water to soften, about 20 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Seasonings in a small bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare the Garnishing, heat the wok or skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Fry the egg into a thin omelet. Remove from the heat and let it cool, roll it up and slice thinly.
- Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and stir-fry until aromatic, then follow with the Cantonese BBQ Pork, shrimp, green bell pepper, and carrot. Continue to stir-fry until the shrimp are half cooked.
- Add the rice vermicelli and the Seasonings, toss and swirl the rice vermicelli with the spatula until the Seasonings are absorbed and the vermicelli are no longer wet, about 2–3 minutes. Add the bean sprouts and green onion, and continue stir-frying until the bean sprouts are cooked and well combined with the vermicelli, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and transfer the rice vermicelli to a serving platter.
- Garnish the rice vermicelli with the omelet strips and red chili strips. Serve immediately.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?