I am a seafood fanatic and this Mixed Seafood with Tofu Soup has all my favorite sea foods—shrimp, crab meat, and scallops swimming in a mild-tasting broth, flavored with tofu, egg whites, and straw mushrooms. The yellow chives add a Cantonese touch to this seafood soup. It also imbues it with an enticing garlicky aroma. If you can’t find yellow chives where you are, you can substitute it with regular green onions. If you have some Chinese black vinegar, drizzle a few drops into the soup for an even richer and piquant overtone.
Serves 4 as part of a multi-course meal
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 13/4 cups (425 ml) homemade Chicken Stock or 1 can (14-oz/400-g) store-bought chicken broth
- 11/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (50 g) store-bought frozen peas and carrots
- 2 oz (50 g) shelled and deveined raw shrimp, cut into small pieces
- 2 oz (50 g) frozen crab-meat
- 2 oz (50 g) raw bay scallops
- 2 oz (50 g) canned straw mushrooms, rinsed and cut into thin slices
- 4 oz (100 g) soft tofu, rinsed and cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 oz (25 g) yellow chives, cut into 2 in lengths (optional), to garnish
- Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Stir to blend well. Set aside.
- Bring the chicken broth and water to a boil in a pot. Add the frozen peas and carrots, shrimp, crab-meat, bay scallops, straw mushrooms, tofu, and cook for 5 minutes. Season the soup with the Chinese rice wine, sesame oil, salt, and pepper. Thicken the soup with the cornstarch mixture. Stir the soup with a ladle and turn off the heat.
- Swirl the beaten eggs into the soup and immediately stir it three times with a pair of chopsticks. Cover the pot with its lid for 2 minutes. The eggs should be cooked and will form into silken threads.
- Add the yellow chives (if using) into the soup and serve immediately.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!