Exotic catalysts are the holy grail of Destiny 2. While legendary weapons offer a satisfying experience, catalysts can elevate Exotics to a whole new level. Some may fall short, but others can transform an already great weapon into an unstoppable force. In this guide, we will explore the world of Destiny 2 catalysts, uncovering their secrets and discovering how to obtain and unlock them. Are you ready to unlock the true power of your Exotics? Let’s dive in!
Understanding Destiny 2 Exotic Catalysts
First, let’s clarify what catalysts are. Catalysts serve as upgrades for Exotic weapons, granting them additional stat points, new perks, or both. However, it’s important to note that not every Exotic weapon has a catalyst. Catalysts hold the potential to significantly enhance your arsenal, so let’s explore the available options.
The Exotic Catalyst Bounty
Here are the 82 catalysts currently available as of the Season of the Witch (Season 22):
To help you better understand these catalysts, we have categorized them into different tiers:
- S Tier – Best: These are the highest-ranking catalysts, capable of taking an already exceptional weapon to new heights.
- A Tier – Strong: Although not on the same level as the S Tier, these catalysts still offer immense power.
- B Tier – Average: Decent choices that, when wielded by a skilled player, can prove lethal.
- C Tier – Weak: Falling in the middle of the pack, these catalysts are somewhat mediocre.
- D Tier – Worst: Lagging behind the competition, these catalysts offer little to enhance your gameplay.
The ranking takes into account both the benefits of each catalyst and the weapons themselves. Keep this in mind as we explore further.
Obtaining Destiny 2 Catalysts
Now that you understand the catalyst landscape, let’s look at how you can obtain them in Destiny 2. There are several methods available:
- Participate in any activity: Engage in various activities across the game to increase your chances of obtaining catalysts.
- Complete specific quests: Some catalysts require you to complete dedicated quests. Keep an eye out for these opportunities.
- Play playlist activities: Engaging in playlist activities can reward you with catalysts.
- Complete Strikes or Nightfalls: Progress through Strikes and Nightfalls to unlock catalysts.
- Conquer Nightfall: Ordeals: Challenge yourself with Nightfall: Ordeals for a chance to obtain exclusive catalysts.
- PvE Kills: Slay enemies across the galaxy to increase your catalyst collection.
- Conquer Legend or Master Lost Sectors: Delve into dangerous Lost Sectors to discover hidden catalysts.
- Crucible Kills and Wins: Showcase your skills in the Crucible and earn catalysts through victories.
- Participate in Guardian Games: Join the Guardian Games event and complete challenges to secure catalysts.
- Complete the Vault of Glass Raid: Tackle the Vault of Glass Raid to claim exclusive catalysts.
- Survive the Grasp of Avarice Dungeon: Explore the depths of the Grasp of Avarice Dungeon for unique catalysts.
Refer to the table below for specific catalyst requirements:
Catalysts for Older Exotics
Bungie occasionally adds catalysts for older Exotics, providing a chance to elevate forgotten weapons. While these catalysts may not always grab the spotlight, they can transform average weapons into true powerhouses. Here are some catalysts that have been introduced in recent seasons:
Season of the Witch (S22):
- Monte Carlo Catalyst
Season of the Deep (S21):
- Malfeasance Catalyst
Season of the Seraph (S19):
- Cloudstrike Catalyst
- Hierarchy of Needs Catalyst
- Revision Zero Catalyst
Season of the Haunted (S17):
- Jötunn’s catalyst
- Heartshadow’s catalyst
Catalysts & the Destiny Content Vault (DCV)
The introduction of the Destiny Content Vault (DCV) resulted in the removal of nearly 50% of the game’s content. This included Exotic weapons, catalysts, and various activities. Bungie’s intention with the DCV is to make room for new experiences each year, cycling out older content. However, the vaulted catalysts have been making a comeback.
In the Witch Queen expansion, Bungie reintroduced several lost catalysts, granting new players the opportunity to acquire them. These catalysts include:
- Outbreak Perfected
- Whisper of the Worm
- The Fourth Horseman
- Dead Man’s Tale
- Ager’s Scepter
During Season of the Chosen (S13), Bungie also reintroduced nine more catalysts, ensuring that virtually all existing catalysts are available to new players:
- Bad Juju
- Izanagi’s Burden
- Sleeper Simulant
- The Huckleberry
- Worldline Zero
- Polaris Lance
- Legend of Acrius
- Skyburner’s Oath
This move by Bungie has allowed both new and veteran players to unlock catalysts that were once off-limits.
Embrace the Catalysts
Destiny 2 can be an overwhelming world, and Exotic Catalysts may have initially seemed mysterious. However, armed with this guide, you now have the knowledge to pursue and unlock these powerful upgrades. So, which are your favorite Exotic Catalysts? Let us know in the comments below! It’s time to unleash the full potential of your arsenal and take on the challenges that await in Destiny 2.