Are you interested in blacksmithing and wondering how much anvils cost in 2022? Anvils are essential tools for any blacksmith, but their prices can vary significantly. In this updated guide, we will explore the factors that influence anvil prices and provide tips on where to buy them.
Anvils and Their Value:
Anvils tend to increase in value over time, making them not just useful tools but also potential investments. For instance, the NC Tool Company anvils, which I purchased a few years ago for $280 each, now sell for $450, up from $360 in 2022. These anvils are known for their high quality and lighter weight, making them a popular choice among blacksmiths.
Factors Affecting Anvil Prices:
Anvil prices can range from as low as $70 to as high as $2575. The cost variation can be attributed to several factors:
At the lower end of the price range, you will find cast iron anvils from companies like Harbor Freight. These anvils are mass-produced with heavy machinery, which lowers their production costs. On the other hand, higher-end anvils, like those made by Nimba Anvils, are meticulously crafted one at a time in small production facilities. The quality of materials and craftsmanship contributes to their higher price.
Anvils come in different sizes, and larger anvils generally cost more due to the increased amount of material required in their production. Consider your specific needs and budget when selecting the size of an anvil.
3. Production Capabilities:
Anvils produced on a larger scale benefit from economies of scale, which helps lower their prices. Lightweight anvils from Harbor Freight are an example of mass-produced anvils, while smaller manufacturers like Nimba Anvils have more limited production capabilities, resulting in higher prices.
Should You Buy An Anvil On Facebook?
While Facebook may seem like a convenient platform for purchasing anvils, it is not recommended. The current popularity of blacksmithing has led to increased prices and attracting sellers with questionable assets and motives. To ensure a safe and reliable purchase, consider the following alternatives:
- Buy directly from a reputable manufacturer.
- Purchase from respected retailers specialized in blacksmithing equipment, such as Centaur Forge, NC Tool Company, or Blacksmith’s Depot.
To avoid overpaying for anvils online, apply these additional tips:
- Follow a rule of thumb: aim to pay $7 per pound or less for the anvil you need. For instance, if you’re looking for a 70-pound anvil, try to stay under $490.
- Adjust the price based on the age and condition of the anvil. While some old anvils may have historical value and are worth the investment, severely damaged ones may require a lower offer.
- Vet the seller as much as possible to ensure their credibility and knowledge about the anvil they are selling.
- Seek guidance from an experienced blacksmith or expert in the field.
- Consider purchasing from reputable dealers like Centaur Forge, NC Tool Company, or Blacksmith’s Depot.
Anvil as an Investment:
Anvils can be considered an investment as they appreciate in value over time. The older and better-maintained an anvil is, the more valuable it becomes. Additionally, as you gain experience and improve your blacksmithing skills, the value of your anvil increases. Remarkably, you don’t need to spend a fortune on an anvil to achieve great results. For instance, the $280 anvils I currently use have served me well for over seven years, generating a full-time income and contributing to thousands of successful projects.
Conclusion: Finding the Sweet Spot:
In summary, when purchasing an anvil, aim to spend at least $400. The 70-pound anvils from NC Tool Company are highly recommended, and you can find them directly on their website (nctoolco.com) or through trusted retailers like Centaur Forge (centaurforge.com). Remember to consider factors like quality, size, and production capabilities when making your decision. By following these guidelines, you can find an anvil that fits both your budget and your blacksmithing needs.