As you delve deeper into the mechanics and classes of Diablo 4, you’ll discover that each class possesses a unique mechanic that grants it an advantage in battle. For the Rogue class, this mechanic is known as its “Specialization,” and it is well worth investing in if you plan on playing as a Rogue in Diablo 4.
If you’re curious to learn more about the Rogue class’s Specialization mechanic, how it works, how to unlock it, and more, then you’ve come to the right place. In this guide, we will cover all the details surrounding the Rogue Specialization in Diablo 4, including how to unlock it, the combo points system, insights, and much more.
Update on June 14, 2023: We have updated this article with the latest information on the Diablo 4 Rogue class’s unique mechanic. While you’re here, be sure to check out our comprehensive Rogue build guide.
How To Unlock The Rogue’s Specialization System in Diablo 4
Unlocking the Specialization ability for the Rogue class in Diablo 4 is quite straightforward. All you need to do is reach level 15. Once you reach this milestone, you will automatically begin the Priority Quest called “True Potential,” which, upon completion, grants you access to the Specialization ability.
The Rogue class will unlock the Specialization ability at level 15. (Picture: Blizzard)
The Specialization System allows the Rogue class to choose or “specialize” in three passive bonuses that can be swapped at any time, even during combat. These three passives are Combo Points, Inner Sight, and Preparation. Let’s take a closer look at each one.
Diablo 4 Rogue Specialization System: Combo Points
The Combo Points Specialization works by building up a combo as you use your basic skills, allowing you to accumulate up to three combo points. When using a specific Core Skill, you can unleash a more powerful version of that skill based on the number of combo points you’ve accumulated.
Combo Points build up and are consumed to enhance your Core Skills. (Picture: Blizzard)
The following are the Core Skills that consume Combo Points and the damage increase they provide based on the number of combo points accumulated:
- Barrage: Combo Points increase damage and arrows fired: +20%/+40%/+60% damage, 6/7/8 arrows.
- Rapid Fire: Combo Points increase damage and arrows fired: +13%/+26%/+39% damage, 6/7/8 arrows.
- Penetrating Shot: Combo Points increase damage and grant a chance to Knock Down for 1.5 seconds: +30%/+60%/+90% damage, 10%/20%/30% chance.
- Flurry: Combo Points increase damage and grant a +30% Attack Speed bonus: +25%/+50%/+75% damage, 1.5/3.0/4.5-second bonus.
- Twisting Blades: Combo Points increase damage and grant a Movement Speed bonus: +30%/+60%/+90% damage, 20%/40%/60% bonus.
Diablo 4 Rogue Specialization: Inner Sight Ability
Next, we have the Inner Sight Specialization, which unlocks at level 20. This ability is particularly effective against crowds and works by marking a specific enemy in a group with a purple eye.
Inner Sight marks random enemies that, when hit, fill up a bar granting you infinite Energy for 4 seconds when full. (Picture: Blizzard)
By striking the marked enemy with any attack, you fill up your Inner Sight gauge located next to your Energy bar. Once the gauge is full, you gain unlimited Energy for 4 seconds. If the marked enemy is not defeated within ten seconds, the marker will transfer to another random enemy.
This Specialization is incredibly useful if you can consistently land hits or focus on a specific enemy, granting you nearly infinite energy during battles.
Diablo 4 Rogue Specialization: Preparation Ability
Lastly, we have the Preparation Specialization, which becomes available at level 30. This specialization was not accessible during the preview and beta phases of the game, so we are not entirely sure of its exact functionality yet. However, some speculate that it might be a cooldown reduction ability that allows us to use our Ultimate more frequently.
This theory stems from an in-game achievement that reads: “Rogue: Preparation – Use your Ultimate 3 times in 60 seconds as a Rogue.” We will update this listing with an accurate description of the Preparation Specialization as soon as more information becomes available.
And there you have it, everything you need to know about Diablo 4’s Specialization system for Rogue players. We will make sure to update this article promptly whenever there are any changes or new information.
For more Diablo 4 content, be sure to check out our dedicated section or explore our Guides & Tutorials below:
- Diablo 4 Class Builds – Best Barbarian Build | Best Necromancer Build | Best Sorcerer Build | Best Druid Build | Best Rogue Build | All Classes Tier List | Best Class For Beginners | Build Calculator |
- Class Mechanics: Sorcerer Enchantment System | Barbarian Arsenal | Rogue Specialization | Necromancer Book of the Dead | Druid Spirit Animals | Unlock Golems |
- Items – Healing Vial | Item Slot Types | Transmogs/Wardrobe | Salvage Items | Durability & Repair | Trading Items | All Unique Items & Stats | Set Items | Item Quality/Rarity Levels | Elixirs | Butcher’s Cleaver | Cry of Ashava Trophy |
- Features: Beginners Guide | Impressions From Beta |
- Quests: Ritual Tower Key | Forgive Me Side Quest | Traveler’s Prayer Side Quest | Secret Of The Spring Riddle | Raising Spirits Side Quest | Woodsman Of Nevesk | Fiend Rose |
- General D4 Guides: Legendary & Gold Farming | Town Portal | Inventory Size | Stash Size | Beat Lilith’s Lament | Beat Den Mother Boss | Beat Lord Avitus Boss | Beat Blood Bishop Boss | Reset Dungeons | Gathering Legions Guide | The Butcher Boss | Leave Dungeons | All Stronghold Locations | Hardcore Mode | Change Difficulty | Unlock/Launch Time | Balance Changes | Patch Notes |
- Diablo 4 Tech Guides – Ray Tracing Support | Couch Co-Op | Server Regions | PC Requirements & File Size | Diablo 4 Servers Down? | Connection Issues Fix | Crashing Issues Fix | Unable To Install or Patch | Low FPS Fix | Error Code 34202 Fix | Disable Fog & Glare | Stuck in Queue Fix | Console Issues | PC Issues | Enable & Disable Chat Bubbles | Hit Max Level Fast | Best PC Settings High FPS | Error Code 395002 Fix | Error Code 316719 Fix | D4 on Steam Deck | Offline Mode | DLSS 3 & NVIDIA Reflex |
- Crafting/Vendors – Jeweler | Gambling & Obols | Occultist | Alchemist | Blacksmith | Monster Parts | Skins | Ore | Plants |
- Legendary Aspects – Codex of Power | Sorcerer Legendary Powers | Barbarian Legendary Powers | Rogue Legendary Powers | Necromancer Legendary Powers | Druid Legendary Powers
- Activities – Strongholds | Nightmare Dungeons | Silent Chests | Altars of Lilith | Helltides | Endgame |
- Story & Lore – Campaign Length | Who is Lilith? | Who is Inarius | Deckard Cain | Secret Cow Level | All D4 Acts Listed |
- Zones – Fractured Peaks Overview | Scosglen | Kehjistan | Dry Steppes | Hawezar | All Waypoint Locations | Full World Map | Fractured Peaks Chests | Fractured Peaks Cellars |
- Stronghold Guides – Kor Dragan | Malnok | Nostrava |
- Mounts – Temptation Mount | Diablo 4 Class Dismount Mechanics | Unlock & Customize |
- Seasons – Battle Pass Price | Diablo 4 Season Duration | Battle Pass Differences | Get Favor | Next Season Start Date | Season Blessings | Season Journey | Diablo 4 Content Roadmap |
- Gameplay Systems – Armor System | Clans | Primary Stats & Effects | Shrines & Buffs | Renown & Reputation | Max Level & Paragon Cap | World Tier Difficulty Levels | Followers/Mercenaries |
- World Bosses – Ashava | Avarice | Wandering Death | Beat Ashava | Ashava Spawn Location |
- Diablo 4 Misc – Statue of Inarius Price & Specs | Wolf Pack Cosmetic | Codes | Diablo 4 Free-to-Play? | Mother’s Inked Title | Collector’s Edition | How To Respec | Stagger Mechanic | Patch Notes | Asmongold Diablo 4 Beta Thoughts | Item Shop | Wings of the Creator Emote |
- Challenges/Achievements – Necromancer Challenges | Barbarian Challenges | Druid Challenges | Rogue Challenges | Sorcerer Challenges | Crafting Challenges
- Diablo 4 PvP – Coming soon!
Our section continues to grow, so make sure to check for new guides daily! Don’t forget to grab one of the Diablo 4 Editions and join the fight to save Sanctuary.