Lemon is not a commonly used ingredient in Chinese cuisine. In f act, Lemon Chicken is probably one of the few dishes that does take advantage of the citrus tang of lemon. Whenever I need something to stimulate my appetite, I make this dish because it’s so inviting and palatable. It’s best to use a skinless, boneless chicken meat when preparing Lemon Chicken. After deep-frying the chicken with a crispy and crumbly batter, the chicken will be cut into pieces before the lemon sauce is poured on top of it.
Serves 2–3 as part of a multi-course meal
- 12 oz (350 g) skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 11/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine or sherry
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plum sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- A pinch of salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup (35 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (35 g) cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Cut the chicken breast into two equal-sized pieces and marinate with all the ingredients for Marinade for 30 minutes.
- Mix and then sift all the ingredients for the Coating. Set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Sauce in a saucepan. Heat the saucepan over medium to low heat. Stir the Sauce to blend well. Once the Sauce starts to bubble and boil, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Dip the chicken in the egg, and then dust with the Coating evenly. Shake off the excess Coating.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5 cm) of the oil in a wok or stockpot to 350°F (175°C) for deep-frying. Gently drop the chicken into the oil.
- Deep-fry the chicken to a light golden brown. Dish out with a strainer or slotted spoon, draining the excess oil by laying the chicken on a dish lined with paper towels. Discard or reserve the oil for use in another recipe.
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Drizzle the Sauce on top and serve immediately with steamed rice.
COOK’S NOTE: If you like your Lemon Chicken with more sauce, increase the portion of the Sauce to your liking.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!