The Ultimate Guide to Finding the Best Gear for Protection Warriors
When it comes to gearing up your Protection Warrior, it’s important to prioritize not only item level but also the specific stats and effects that will enhance your performance. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the key factors to consider when choosing your gear and provide recommendations for the best-in-slot options.
The Great Vault and Mythic Raiding
The Weekly Mythic+ chest, now known as the Great Vault, and Mythic raiding are excellent sources for obtaining top-tier gear. These activities should be your primary focus when seeking out the best gear. Additionally, you can place crafting orders for specific pieces once you have the necessary materials.
Seeking Out Best-in-Slot Gear
While it’s challenging to create a definitive BiS (Best in Slot) list due to the ever-changing nature of the game, there are instances where certain gear pieces stand out. For example, some trinkets possess powerful special effects that make them highly desirable, regardless of item level. Similarly, certain rings may have unique effects that outweigh the benefits of higher item levels or specific secondary stats.
As a general guideline, any increase in item level should be considered an upgrade. For Protection Warriors, the secondary stats hold similar value, so it’s crucial to compare items of the same level. Additionally, keep in mind that increases in Stamina and Strength also have significant impacts.
Considering Special Effects and Unique Gear
While item level remains a crucial factor, there are cases where the effects of specific trinkets, rings, and gear with unique properties outweigh the importance of item level. When encountering such gear, be mindful of their special effects and evaluate their potential impact on your performance.
The Importance of Simulations
Simulation tools can be immensely helpful in determining which gear pieces will provide the maximum damage output. Although this may seem irrelevant for tanks, a skilled tank should not only focus on survivability but also contribute to the group’s overall damage output. Therefore, utilizing simulation tools can aid in selecting the best gear options among items of similar item levels.
Embellishments offer additional effects on craftable items, enhancing their overall performance. You can add these effects to most crafted armor pieces, with the exception of necklaces and rings. Among the available options, Shadowflame stands out as a highly recommended embellishment due to its significant damage boost. As for the second embellishment, Unstable Frostfire Belt proves to be the most consistent choice.
Unleashing the Power of Set Bonuses
Within the new Aberrus raid, each class receives a class-themed gear set with unique bonuses for each specialization. For Protection Warriors, the set bonuses are as follows:
- Warrior Protection 10.1 Class Set 2pc: Shield Slam deals 15% increased damage and reduces the cooldown of Last Stand by 2 seconds. These effects are doubled during the Last Stand.
- Warrior Protection 10.1 Class Set 4pc: For 20 seconds following the end of Last Stand, Shield Slam deals damage in a cone in front of you and reduces the damage you receive by 5% for 5 seconds.
Both of these set bonuses provide straightforward benefits in both Raids and Mythic+ content. It is highly recommended to acquire all four pieces of the set to fully enjoy the advantages it offers. Fortunately, there are five tier pieces available in Aberrus, allowing you to mix and match to optimize your set composition.
The New Gear Upgrade System
In Season 2, the Valor Upgrade system has been replaced with a new system that enables item upgrades from various content sources. Dragonflight Season 2 introduces two new currencies: Flightstones and Shadowflame Crests. These currencies can be obtained from a wide range of in-game activities and can be used to upgrade gear up to Item Level 441, which is the entry-level for Mythic Raiding. Crafted gear can be upgraded even further, up to iLvl 447, which is considered late-Mythic Item Level.
For more in-depth information about the Gear Upgrades system, refer to our dedicated page.
Shields: The Guardian’s Fortification
As a Protection Warrior, your shield is the most vital piece of your equipment. Upgrading your shield provides a significant defensive boost compared to other slots. When searching for high-item-level shields, look to dungeons, raids, and the Great Vault. Here are some notable shield options available:
- Calamity’s Herald: Looted from Echo of Neltharion in Aberrus.
- Experiment 1, Kitewing: Looted from The Forgotten Experiments in Aberrus.
- Stout Shield: Looted from The Lost Dwarves in Uldaman.
- Qalashi Defender: Looted from Warlord Sargha in Neltharus.
- Targe of the Ancient Warder: Looted from Sporecaller Zancha in Underrot.
- Murozond’s Timeless Scale: Looted from Chrono-Lord Deios in Dawn of the Infinite.
Remember, prioritize the highest item level shield available, regardless of secondary stats.
Weapons: Your Arsenal of Destruction
Weapons play a crucial role in increasing your damage output as a Protection Warrior and contributing to the overall performance of your group. Here are some excellent weapon options for you to consider:
- Proctor’s Tactical Cleaver: Looted from Zskarn in Aberrus.
- Scholar’s Thinking Cudgel: Looted from The Amalgamation Chamber in Aberrus.
- Forgestorm: Looted from Forgemaster Gorek in Neltharus.
- Tongue Hacker: Looted from Gulping Goliath in Halls of Infusion.
- Sharkbait’s Fishhook: Looted from Skycap’n Kragg in Freehold.
- Axe of the Eclipse: Looted from Altairus in The Vortex Pinnacle.
- Quel’Zaram, High Blade of the Lion: Looted from Time-Lost Battlefield in Dawn of the Infinite.
Similar to shields, prioritize weapons with the highest item level available, regardless of secondary stats.
Rings, Necklaces, and Cloaks: Your Personal Touch
When it comes to rings, necklaces, and cloaks, the item level rule may sometimes bend due to their low primary stat presence. Here are some noteworthy options that align with our secondary stat priority:
- Ring-Bound Hourglass: Crafted by Jewelcrafters.
- Signet of Titanic Insight: Crafted by Jewelcrafters.
- Seal of Questionable Loyalties: Looted from Freehold, Council o’Captains.
- Circle of Ascended Frost: Looted from Halls of Infusion, Khajin the Unyielding.
- Loop of Vitriolic Intent: Looted from Neltharion’s Lair, Ularogg Cragshaper.
- Onyx Impostor’s Birthright: Looted from Aberrus, Echo of Neltharion.
- Torc of Passed Time: Crafted by Jewelcrafters.
- Kagni’s Scorching Talisman: Looted from Aberrus, Assault of the Zaqali.
- Bromach’s Disentombed Locket: Looted from Uldaman, Bromach.
- Ionized Choker: Looted from The Vortex Pinnacle, Grand Vizier Ertan.
- Voice of the Silent Star: Looted from Aberrus, Scalecommander Sarkareth.
- Etchings of the Captive Revenant: Looted from Aberrus, Kazzara.
- Shadow of Perfect Bliss: Looted from The Vortex Pinnacle, Asaad, Caliph of Zephyrs.
It is worth mentioning that the Onyx Annulet, despite its lack of secondary stats, can be a viable option with its 3 sockets. However, it is only recommended if it surpasses the 428+ Item Level threshold.
Gems and Enchants: Unleashing the Potential
Gemstones and enchants are crucial for enhancing your gear’s capabilities. Here are some highly recommended options:
Gems for Single Target Damage:
- Freezing Ice Stone
- Desirous Blood Stone (combined with Prophetic Twilight Stone)
Gems for AoE Situations:
- Storm Infused Stone
- Desirous Blood Stone (combined with Prophetic Twilight Stone)
When it comes to enchants, refer to our dedicated page for the best options.
Finding the best gear for your Protection Warrior requires careful consideration of various factors. By prioritizing item level, secondary stats, and special effects, you can optimize your performance and contribute to your group’s success. Remember to upgrade your gear using Flightstones and Shadowflame Crests to unlock their full potential. Keep exploring the depths of Aberrus and other challenging content to obtain the most potent gear available.