In the world of Dark and Darker, choosing the right class is crucial for survival. Among the 8 available classes, the Rogue stands out as a master of speed and stealth. If you want to navigate the treacherous dungeons successfully, you need to understand how to maximize the potential of this class. This comprehensive guide will walk you through the best Rogue builds, covering everything from playstyle and weapons to armor and abilities.
Introduction to the Rogue
Rogues excel in covert operations, utilizing their agility and cunning to gain the upper hand. They possess unique skills in lockpicking, stealing from enemies, and disarming traps. While their primary weapons are typically daggers, they also have access to ranged attacks through weapons like the Hand Crossbow or Throwing Knives. With the lowest health pool among all the classes in Dark and Darker, the Rogue truly shines when played from the shadows.
Available Rogue Perks
Perks provide passive enhancements to your character. At the beginning, you have one perk slot, but as you level up, you will unlock additional slots at Level 5, Level 10, and Level 15. Let’s take a look at the available Rogue perks:
- Ambush: The first attack within 3 seconds after leaving stealth deals 50% additional weapon damage.
- Back Attack: Increases physical damage bonus by 30% when attacking from behind the target.
- Creep: When crouch walking, the volume of the footstep sound is significantly reduced and movement speed is increased by 5%.
- Dagger Mastery: Increases your physical damage bonus by 10% when attacking with a dagger.
- Double Jump: Allows you to jump again while in mid-air. After landing, your movement speed is temporarily reduced by 30 move speed for 3 seconds.
- Hand Crossbow Mastery: Enables the use of a hand crossbow.
- Hidden Pockets: Items worn in utility slots do not appear on the waist.
- Jokester: Lightens the mood, granting all party members around you a +2 all attributes buff.
- Lockpicking Mastery: Ability to pick locks without a lockpick.
- Pickpocket: Allows you to steal an enemy’s item from the dungeon.
- Poisoned Weapon: Applies poison to a successful attack, dealing 4 magic damage over 4 seconds. Poison can stack up to 5 times.
- Shadow Runner: Grants a 15% movement speed increase for 3 seconds when coming out of hiding.
- Stealth: While hiding, you can move 10 steps while crouching or slow walking.
- Thrust: Attacks through armor gaps, ignoring 15% of the target’s physical damage reduction.
- Trap Detection: Highlights nearby traps. Highlighted traps can be disarmed by the player.
Available Rogue Skills
Skills require activation and can significantly impact your character’s performance. You can assign two skills to your build by pressing ‘Q’ or ‘E’. Let’s explore the available Rogue skills:
- Caltrops: Drops Caltrops at your feet, dealing 10 physical damage and slowing the movement speed of anything that steps on them by 50% for 2 seconds.
- Cut Throat: Silences the target for 3 seconds when the next attack succeeds. Silence disables skills, spells, and performance abilities.
- Hide: Turns you invisible, allowing you to change your equipment while hidden. You will be revealed when performing actions like moving, attacking, or using a skill.
- Rupture: Causes the target of your next successful attack to bleed for 20 physical damage over 5 seconds. The buff is consumed upon hitting an object or target.
- Smoke Pot: Deploys a smoke pot, creating a smoke screen that lasts for 30 seconds and covers a 6m area. When a hostile target enters the smoke screen, their movement speed is reduced by 20%.
- Tumbling: Performs a backtumble in the opposite direction the player is facing.
- Weakpoint Attack: Increases weapon damage by 50% on the next successful attack. Additionally, it reduces the target’s armor rating by 40% for 5 seconds.
The Best Rogue Builds
Below are three recommended Rogue builds for different playstyles:
Beginner Rogue Build
Recommended loadout: Prioritize armor pieces that don’t hinder your movement speed. While daggers are the standard choice, consider using the Rapier for its added range, which can be helpful for beginners.
Recommended perks: Poisoned Weapon is an excellent choice for filling your singular perk slot, delivering additional magic damage with each hit.
Recommended skills: Hide is a quintessential Rogue skill that allows you to go invisible and remain hidden until the perfect moment to strike. Combine it with Weakpoint Attack for an incredibly deadly initial attack followed by increased vulnerability to subsequent attacks.
Trios Rogue Build
When playing with supportive teammates, you can adopt a more aggressive playstyle. However, timing is crucial. Coordinate with your allies to engage and disengage from the frontline strategically, delivering swift attacks while avoiding danger.
Recommended loadout: The Stiletto Dagger is highly recommended due to its exceptional speed, making it one of the fastest weapons in the game.
Recommended perks: Poisoned Weapon remains a strong choice. Additionally, perks like Jokester, Lockpicking Mastery, and Trap Detection can be beneficial for both you and your party.
Recommended skills: Rupture is a great skill, causing residual damage to your target even after you’ve retreated to safety. Weakpoint Attack synergizes well with the multi-hit attack pattern of the Stiletto Dagger.
Solo Queue Rogue Build
As a solo Rogue, staying hidden as much as possible is your best strategy. Catch your enemies off guard with attacks from behind to gain the upper hand in a 1v1 situation.
Recommended loadout: The Castillion Dagger may be slightly slower, but it offers a significant damage output. With no need to contend with multiple enemy players, you can focus on delivering a single devastating strike.
Recommended perks: Stealth provides extra mobility while hiding, allowing for better positioning before striking. Ambush and Back Attack boost the power of your sneak attacks, while Dagger Mastery provides a valuable 10% damage bonus.
Recommended skills: The combination of Weakpoint Attack and Hide is particularly effective for this build.
If you’re considering exploring other classes, check out our guides on the best Ranger builds or the best Wizard builds.
Remember, the key to success in Dark and Darker lies in mastering your chosen class and tailoring your build to your playstyle. Good luck, adventurer!