Discover the ultimate endgame version of the Summoner Necromancer build for Diablo 4, specifically designed around the unique Ring of Mendeln. This build has been optimized to perfection in collaboration with SinityX, the first player to defeat Uber Lilith with a Summoner build, and GhazzyTV. It offers unparalleled speed and devastating damage, making it the top choice for Season 1.
Before diving into the details, it’s important to note that you will need the Ring of Mendeln for this build to work effectively. Unfortunately, the ring is a random unique item that can only be obtained by opening jewelry boxes in Helltide events. In the meantime, you can still play the initial Summoner Necromancer build.
Strengths and Weaknesses
To see how this build compares to others, check out our build tier lists on our website.
Season of the Malignant
Season 1 Patch Updates
The Season 1 Patch Update introduced some changes specifically for this build. Here are the details:
- Increased the range for auto-targeting Corpses for Raise Skeleton, Corpse Explosion, and Corpse Tendrils by 50%.
- Increased the bonus damage for Raise Skeleton Skeletal Priest from 20% to 30%.
- Increased the healing for Raise Skeleton Skeletal Priest from 10% to 15%.
- Increased the healing for Transfusion Minion from 15/30/45% to 20/40/60%.
- Increased Amplify Damage from 3/6/9% to 4/8/12%.
- Minions will now automatically re-summon after respawning during a World Boss fight.
- Essence Glyph’s bonus now affects all damage instead of just Core Skills.
- Increased the bonus damage for Aspect of Plunging Darkness from 50-100% to 75-125%.
- Reduced the Critical Strike Damage bonus for Aspect of Grasping Veins from 30-60% to 20-40%.
- Increased the duration of Osseous Gale Aspect’s bonus Bone Storm from 4-8 to 5-10 seconds.
- Reduced the maximum stacks for Aspect of Disobedience from 100 to 60, resulting in a reduced maximum Bonus Armor % from 25-50% to 15-30%.
- Increased the damage for Aspect of Decay from 20-40% to 25-45%.
- Reduced the damage dealt to Druid Companions and Necromancer Minions by the following attacks:
- Balrog’s Fire Breath
- Elite Affixes: Fire Enchanted, Electrified Obelisks, Shock Lance
These changes have improved the damage output of our minions, enhancing the build’s survival and making the Essence Glyph more reliable for damage. The Aspect of Grasping Veins Critical Strike Damage nerf slightly reduced its effectiveness. Additionally, the Aspect of Disobedience change reduced the maximum Bonus Armor %.
The Season 1 theme introduces Malignant Hearts that provide build-altering bonuses. Each heart belongs to a specific category and needs to be socketed in the corresponding colored Malignant Socket on equipped jewelry. Here are the Malignant Hearts useful for this build, ranked by importance:
- Caged Heart of the Sacrilegious (Vicious, Offensive): Walking near a Corpse automatically activates an equipped Corpse Skill every second, dealing 40-30% reduced damage.
- Caged Heart of The Barber (Wrathful, Super-World Tier III): Critical Strikes and subsequent damage within 2.0-4.0 seconds are absorbed by your target, then erupts onto surrounding enemies. Stored damage increases by 10% per second.
- Caged Heart of the Decrepit Aura (Brutal, Defensive): When at least 5 enemies are near you, gain an aura that automatically curses surrounding enemies with Decrepify for 5-15 seconds.
Skill Tree Points and Skill Bar
[Image placeholder for Skill Tree Points and Skill Bar]
Book of the Dead
As a pure Minion build, we prioritize using our Minions instead of sacrificing them. However, the Golem doesn’t provide enough power for this build. Here’s how we allocate our skill points:
- Melee Skeletons: Reapers Skeletons generate corpses for consumption.
- Mage Skeletons: Shadow Skeletons with the extra shadow bolt option to trigger Shadowblight.
- Golem: Iron Golem sacrificed to provide increased Critical Strike damage.
The Paragon progression system unlocks at Level 50, granting significant character power. Prioritize Damage, Intelligence, and Life for Normal and Magic Nodes as you path towards Glyph Sockets and Legendary Nodes. Level up Glyphs to increase their radius. Remember, you may not have the desired Glyph when you first reach a socket, so use any beneficial Glyph until you find the correct one. Here are the recommended paths and Glyph locations for the Paragon Boards:
- Starting Board: Rush the right-hand side for the socket and place the Amplify Glyph. Take the extra attributes within the radius for the bonus modifier from the Glyph.
- Scent of Death (2nd Board): Rush the Legendary Node Scent of Death, take the Magic and Rare nodes, and place the Control Glyph in the socket.
- Bone Graft (3rd Board): Rush the socket and place the Exploit Glyph. Take extra attributes if the Glyph radius allows for the bonus modifier.
- Wither (4th Board): Rush the socket and take surrounding Magic and Rare nodes. Place the Scourge Glyph in the socket, taking extra attributes if the Glyph is leveled enough for the bonus modifier.
- Flesh-Eater (5th Board): Take all surrounding Magic and Rare nodes. Place the Essence Glyph in the socket, prioritizing any Dexterity nodes within the Glyph radius to scale damage output.
- Cult Leader (6th Board): This board is crucial for minion survival. Take the Damage Reduction Nodes for minions using the Deadraiser Glyph to further scale the modifiers.
Mechanics and Playstyle
The core of this build revolves around the Ring of Mendeln. The goal is to stack Lucky Hit on every gear piece. Bone Prison triggers Lucky Hits, making it a vital mechanic in this build. The playstyle involves constantly triggering Lucky Hits, which, in turn, triggers the Ring of Mendeln’s special effect. Here’s how to execute the playstyle:
- Use the Malignant Heart, Caged Heart of the Decrepit Aura, to automatically apply Decrepify to enemies.
- Utilize the Malignant Heart, Caged Heart of the Sacrilegious, to force Corpse skills to be used every second when near a corpse on the ground.
- Place Bone Prison on nearby enemies and activate Blood Mist.
- Use Corpse Tendrils to consistently apply Vulnerable to enemies, stunning them, and gathering them in one place.
- The combination of Lucky Hits, Bone Prison, and Corpse Tendrils triggers the Ring of Mendeln’s special effect.
- Thanks to the Season 1 changes, you can stay in Blood Mist form continuously until the demon threat is eliminated.
Gear Choice and Stat Priority
Lucky Hit and Critical Strike Chance are essential for this build. Aim for 100% Critical Strike Chance by combining Aspect Powers and the bonus Critical Strike Chance from Supreme Bone Storm. Additionally, stacking Vulnerable damage is ideal since this build relies on applying Vulnerable consistently. Here’s the stat priority for the Mendeln Summoner Necromancer:
- Vulnerable Damage
- Critical Strike Damage
- Lucky Hit Chance
- Cooldown Reduction
- Critical Strike Chance
- Movement Speed
Here are the recommended Legendary Aspects for the Mendeln Summoner Necromancer build:
[Image placeholder for Legendary Aspects]
The only unique item you need for this build is the Ring of Mendeln. Its special effect is crucial and forms the foundation of the entire build.
Here are the best Gems to socket into gear for each slot type:
- Weapon: Royal Emerald for +% Increased Vulnerable Critical Strike Damage.
- Armor: Royal Ruby for Life increase.
- Jewelry: Exclusively use the Malignant Hearts in these slots.
Elixirs and Health Potions
To gain an edge in your adventures, visit the Alchemist in Kyovashad and craft Elixirs that enhance your stats and experience gain for 30 minutes. Upgrade your health potion to the highest level for increased healing, essential for survival in the endgame.
- August 7th, 2023: Guide updated for Patch 1.1.1.
- July 26th, 2023: Restructured the guide, including changes to the Paragon Board, Aspects, and skill tree.