There are two ways of preparing noodles the Cantonese way: dry stir-fry and wet stir-fry. Dry stir-fry means that the noodles are served without a sauce, like Beef Chow Fun Noodles. Wet stir-fry means that the noodles are doused in a sauce or gravy. This Seafood Chow Fun Noodles is a great illustration of Cantonese wet stir-fry. The rice noodles are pan-fried first and a white and slightly thick sauce laced with various sea foods is then poured on top of the bed of noodles. I love eating this dish with Pickled Green Chilies, which adds a spicy and vinegary zing to the overall taste.
Serves 3 as a main dish
- 11/2 lbs (750 g) fresh flat rice noodles
- 21/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 shelled and deveined medium-sized raw shrimp
- 2 oz (50 g) fish fillet, 1 in (2.5 cm) thick, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 oz (50 g) bay scallops
- 2 oz (50 g) cleaned squid, cut into rings
- 2 oz (50 g) baby bok choy, cut lengthwise into halves
- 2 oz (50 g) canned straw mushrooms, rinsed
- 1/2 small carrot, sliced into pieces
- Handful yellow chives, cut into 2 in (5 cm) lengths
- Pickled green Chilies, to serve
- 1 cup (250 ml) homemade Chicken Stock or store-bought chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine or sherry
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Loosen the flat rice noodles completely so they don’t clump together. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add the noodle and soy sauce and stir-fry until slightly charred. Transfer the noodles to a deep serving plate or bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add in the minced garlic and stir-fry to a light brown and then pour in the Sauce.
- Add the shrimp, fish, bay scallops, squid, baby bok choy, straw mushrooms, carrot, and yellow chives and bring the Sauce to a boil. Pour the Sauce on top of the flat rice noodles. Serve hot with Pickled Green Chilies.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!