My earliest memory of Sesame Shrimp Toasts is a birthday party my family threw for me. Pieces of uniformly cut white toast (sans the crust) were filled with Shrimp Mousse, sprinkled with sesame seeds and then they were deep-fried to a glorious golden brown. The shrimp toast was an instant hit at the party and everyone loved it. The best shrimp toast should be crispy, airy, and light. It shouldn’t be greasy and soaked in oil. For the best result, get a good quality white toast that is thicker and denser in texture (these don’t absorb that much of the oil during the deep-frying process). Also, dropping the shrimp toast face down into the wok while frying certainly helps.
Makes 18 or serves 4 as an appetizer or snack
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) or green onion (scallion)
- 1 recipe Shrimp Mousse
- 3 pieces white bread toast Oil, for deep-frying
- 3 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- Add the coriander leaves or green onion to the Shrimp Mousse and mix well. Set aside.
- Cut off the crust of the white toast using a sharp knife. Discard the crusts and use only the white part of the toast. Cut each toast lengthwise into half, and then crosswise into six equal rectangle-shaped pieces.
- Mix the Coating ingredients in a small plate and set aside.
- Assemble the Sesame Shrimp Toasts by following the instructional picture guide below.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5 cm) of the oil in a wok or stockpot to 350°F (175°C) for deep-frying. Gently drop the Sesame Shrimp Toasts into the oil and deep fry in batches.
- Deep-fry until they turn light golden brown. Dish out with a strainer or slotted spoon, draining the excess oil by laying the Sesame Shrimp Toasts on a wire rack or a dish lined with paper towels. Serve immediately.
HOW TO MAKE THE SESAME SHRIMP TOASTS
- Using a butter-knife, spread about 1 tablespoon of the filling evenly atop each piece of the toast.
- Roll the filling on the Coating mixture so the surface is completely covered with the sesame seeds.
- A perfect Sesame Shrimp Toast before deep-frying.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!