I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love this appetizer that combines two of my favorite sea foods in one bite-sized package—succulent crab claw encased in springy shrimp mousse. Each bite explodes with the luscious flavors of the shrimp and crab, and then there’s the crispness of the breadcrumbs. The thought of this taste and texture combination makes my mouth water.
If you’re a beginner, the assembling part might be a little challenging, but once you have a hang of it, it becomes relatively easy. For the crab claws, I recommend using frozen blue crab claws or snow crab claws.
Makes 8 or serves 2 as an appetizer or snack
- 8 frozen and pre-cracked crab claws
- 1 recipe Shrimp Mousse
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (50 g) bread crumbs or Japanese panko
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Defrost the crab claws. If the crab claws become watery after defrosting, pat dry with paper towels.
- Lightly beat the egg in a bowl. Add the breadcrumbs to a deep plate. Set both of them aside.
- Assemble the Stuffed Crab Claws by following the instructional picture guide below.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7.5 cm) of the oil in a wok or stockpot to 350°F (175°C) for deep-frying. Gently drop the Stuffed Crab Claws into the oil and deep-fry in batches.
- Deep-fry until they turn light golden brown. Dish out with a strainer or slotted spoon, draining the excess oil by laying the Stuffed Crab Claws on a wire rack or a dish lined with paper towels. Serve immediately.
HOW TO MAKE THE STUFFED CRAB CLAWS
- Dab a little water on your fingers and wrap about 2 tablespoons of the Shrimp Mousse around the crab-meat. Make sure the Shrimp Mousse encases the crab-meat firmly and completely, revealing only the pointy claws. Dab more water on your fingers (if needed) to smooth over the Shrimp Mousse.
- Dip the Stuffed Crab Claw immediately into the egg mixture.
- Roll it around on the breadcrumbs for an even coating. Shake off the excess breadcrumbs. Repeat for the remaining crab claws.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!