This recipe is adapted from a classic Chinese recipe called “ tang bu shuai.” This dessert is a decadent delight. Legend has it that in ancient China, the family of a single woman would serve this dessert to the potential groom to signify the beginning of a sweet and happy marriage. I am not sure about the truth of this tale, but I am sure you will love this addictive and delicious recipe.
Makes 24 nuggets
- 8 oz (250 g) glutinous (sticky) rice flour
- 3/4 cup (185 ml) water Water, for boiling
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped, to garnish
- 3 oz (75 g) ground peanut
- 3 oz (75 g) fine sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- Add the glutinous rice flour into a big bowl and pour the water in slowly, kneading it while adding the water until it becomes a dough. The dough is ready when it’s no longer sticky and the surface becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and roll the portions into two cylinders. Cut each cylinder into 12 equal pieces.
- Gently roll each piece of the dough into a ball shape using both palms.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Coating in a bowl until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot. Gently transfer the glutinous rice balls into the boiling water and boil until they float to the top, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the rice balls with a strainer or slotted spoon, shake off the excess water and then coat them generously with the Coating. Garnish the nuggets with the chopped roasted peanuts and serve immediately.
COOK’S NOTE: Depending on the glutinous rice flour you use, you might need more or less water. If the dough is too watery, add more glutinous rice flour. If the dough is too dry, add more water.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!