Much like its close cousins, Cantonese BBQ Pork and Crispy Roast Pork, Tangy BBQ Pork Ribs is another popular item offered at Chinese delis or Cantonese barbecue restaurants. You will often see them hanging at the display window, with its sticky glaze dripping. While barbecue pork ribs can be served as a main dish and eaten with rice, I much prefer them as an appetizer. Like most people, I love eating these juicy ribs using my fingers. For the ribs, you can use either spare ribs or baby back ribs. If I am serving this as an appetizer, then I always prefer the baby back ribs.
Serves 4 as an appetizer
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs (1 kg) pork spare ribs or baby back ribs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Chinese BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Rub the minced garlic evenly on both sides of the pork ribs. Marinate the pork ribs with 2/3 (about 80 ml) of the Chinese BBQ Sauce for 8 hours or overnight. Add the oil into the remaining Chinese BBQ Sauce. Stir well and keep in the refrigerator.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Wrap the pork ribs with two layers of aluminum foil, place the parcel in a roasting pan and slow roast for about 2–3 hours. Make sure the aluminum foil is wrapped tightly around the ribs to prevent the juice or drippings from seeping out.
- Remove the ribs from the oven after roasting, unwrap the aluminum foil carefully.
- If you like, you can save the juice or drippings in a small bowl as a dipping sauce. Brush both sides of the pork ribs with the remaining Chinese BBQ Sauce.
- Put the ribs back into the oven (surface unwrapped) and broil on high heat until they are slightly charred, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the ribs from the oven, cut into individual riblets and serve immediately.
COOK’S NOTE: If you like your ribs “falling off the bones,” roast them for 3 hours.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!