Essential Insights on Wrecking Ball
- Wrecking Ball thrives on maps with ample high ground and expansive skyboxes, like Numbani, allowing him to swing around with his Grappling Hook.
- Enclosed maps, such as Nepal: Sanctum, can prove challenging for Wrecking Ball.
- Heroes armed with crowd control (CC) abilities, like Ana’s Sleep Dart, or damage amplification abilities, such as Zenyatta’s Orb of Discord, are effective counters against Wrecking Ball.
- Wrecking Ball, with his ability to engage and disengage swiftly and displace enemies effortlessly, counters heroes with low mobility. He’s a force to be reckoned with.
Key Tips for Mastering Wrecking Ball
- Wrecking Ball possesses a total of 700 health, distributed as 450 HP, 100 armor, and 150 shields.
- By utilizing his Adaptive Shield ability, Wrecking Ball can instantaneously boost his total health by an additional 600.
- Note that Wrecking Ball spawns with his Grappling Hook on cooldown.
- Pair Wrecking Ball with dive damage (DPS characters) like Genji for optimal effectiveness. You can find suitable teammates at your skill level using the free Z League app.
Mastering Wrecking Ball’s Abilities
Image via Blizzard Entertainment
Quad Cannons (Primary Fire)
- Wrecking Ball’s Quad Cannons possess 80 rounds of ammunition, proving most effective in short to medium-range engagements.
- Given the quick depletion of ammo, players should aim to maximize its efficiency in short encounters, avoiding unnecessary reloads.
- True to his name, Wrecking Ball can transform into a rolling ball, reducing his hitbox size and increasing movement speed.
- Utilize Roll whenever Quad Cannons are not in use to exploit Wrecking Ball’s enhanced mobility.
- While in Roll form, Wrecking Ball is less vulnerable to headshots, reducing the damage received.
- Additionally, Roll triggers the reload of Quad Cannons. After two seconds in Roll form, Quad Cannons’ ammo is replenished.
- Abilities like Reinhardt’s primary fire and Orisa’s Javelin Spin possess a stronger knockback effect on Wrecking Ball while he’s in Roll form.
- Grappling Hook enables Wrecking Ball to hook onto surfaces and traverse the map quickly.
- When activated, Wrecking Ball transforms into a fireball, damaging and booping enemies on contact.
- Mastering Grappling Hook requires practice, but it grants Wrecking Ball unparalleled mobility, making him one of the most agile characters in Overwatch 2.
- Grappling Hook comes with a five-second cooldown, which begins once it’s released from a surface.
- Regardless of the form Wrecking Ball was in, Piledriver slams him onto the ground when executed while above the ground.
- Piledriver deals 20 to 100 damage to enemies, depending on their proximity.
- Furthermore, Piledriver launches enemies into the air, enabling teammates to capitalize on the ability’s burst damage.
- Adaptive Shields grant Wrecking Ball an additional 100 health for every opponent within a 10-meter radius.
- This ability has a 15-second cooldown, and the gained health lasts for nine seconds or until depleted by enemy attacks.
- Adaptive Shields allow Wrecking Ball to engage groups of enemies with relative safety.
- Utilize Adaptive Shields for strategic disengagement, as the shields remain active even when temporarily leaving the fight.
- Minefield deploys a field of explosives around Wrecking Ball, each dealing 130 damage.
- Activation of the mines takes 1.25 seconds, and their behavior varies depending on whether Wrecking Ball is on the ground or in the air.
- On the ground, the mines deploy closely together, while in the air, they spread out, resulting in a larger but less dense area of effect.
- Minefield can serve various purposes, depending on the situation. Its 20-second duration makes it ideal for keeping enemies away from objectives.
- Most characters find it challenging to clear the mines due to their small hitbox and number. However, certain tanks like Doomfist and Reinhardt possess abilities that can effectively clear the field.
- To maximize the value of Minefield, combine it with Piledriver to prevent enemies from escaping before the mines activate. Additionally, use Grappling Hook to boop enemies into the mines. Two mine explosions are usually enough to eliminate damage (DPS) and support characters. Tanks are also susceptible to the mines due to their larger hitboxes, often leading them to collide with multiple mines simultaneously.
Recommended Overwatch 2 Streamers to Follow
- Warn: A skilled Ashe player who has reached rank 1 on the ladder. Tune in to his entertaining streams that run almost every day from 6 pm to 2 am ET.
- mL7support: A high-level support player known for streaming sessions that kick off before 9 am ET and often extend for 8-10 hours each day.