Riot Games includes an economy trait in each Teamfight Tactics set, with the focus shifting to Piltover and the T-Hex in Set Nine Runeterra Reforged.
Economy traits have become a staple mechanic in TFT, and Set Nine introduces a unique economy trait featuring a summoned T-Hex. With the official launch of Runeterra Reforged, Riot Games implemented several balance changes to the Piltover trait. Patch 13.15 brought a complete rework to the TFT Set Nine trait, aligning it more closely with economy traits from previous sets.
Understanding the TFT Set 9 Piltover Trait
The Piltover trait in TFT Set Nine comprises five champions: Orianna (one-cost), Vi (two-cost), Ekko (three-cost), Jayce (three-cost), and Heimerdinger (five-cost). The breakpoints for this trait are set at three and six.
When three Piltover units are placed on the board, a T-Hex is summoned. Each time a player loses a combat round, the T-Hex gains Energy Charges. Winning a round rewards players with loot from the Piltover loot table. If a T-Hex has no Charge counters after winning a combat round, the player earns one gold. Additional breakpoints were also introduced in Patch 13.15 to enhance the T-Hex’s functionality.
Patch 13.15 Changes to T-Hex and Piltover Trait
- Piltover Trait Rework: Players now gain T-Hex power and loot upon winning rounds.
- Piltover Trait Change: T-Hex can no longer be sold for loot and no longer starts with one Charge. A win with no Charges rewards one gold.
- Piltover Trait Improvement: The average loot value at the breakpoint of six has been increased.
- T-Hex: Charges item now displays the estimated loot value from a victory.
- T-Hex: The Progress item no longer estimates loot value as T-Hex cannot be sold.
- T-Hex: Base armor and magic resistance increased from 15 to 25.
- T-Hex: Armor and magic resistance Power decreased from two to one.
- T-Hex: Health per Power reduced from 65 to 45.
- T-Hex: 20 Power breakpoint upgrades T-Hex to two-star and unlocks Hextech Breath.
- T-Hex: 40 Power breakpoint advances T-Hex to three-star.
- T-Hex: 80 Power breakpoint advances T-Hex to four-star.
- T-Hex: Star levels serve as visual indicators while stats depend on the T-Hex’s current Power.
Piltover Trait Loot Table for TFT Set 9 Losses
Not selling the T-Hex for loot has altered the loot tables for the Piltover trait. Patch 13.15 also brought changes to the Energy amounts.
- Zero losses (one Energy): One gold.
- One loss (two Energy): Two gold (0.5) or one two-cost unit (0.5).
- Two losses (four Energy): Five gold (0.5) or one three-cost unit and two gold (0.25) or two two-cost units and one gold (0.25).
- Three losses (six Energy): Ten gold (0.25) or an item Component (0.5) or two three-cost units and two gold (0.25).
- Four losses (nine Energy): An item Component and seven gold (0.25) or a Thieves Gloves and four gold (0.50) or four three-cost units and three gold (0.25).
- Five losses (12 Energy): Two item Components and six gold (0.40) or a Tome of Traits and four gold (0.30) or a Thieves Gloves and 11 gold (0.30).
- Six losses (16 Energy): Three item Components and six gold (0.40) or an Ornn Anvil and 12 gold (0.025) or a completed item Anvil and 15 gold (0.30) or an Ornn Thieves Gloves and eight gold (0.20).
- Seven losses (20 Energy): Two completed item Anvils and 10 gold (0.35) or a Champion Duplicator and 30 gold (0.20) or a Radiant item plus two Reforgers and 12 gold (0.20) or five item Components (0.25).
- Eight losses (25 Energy): Two Ornn Anvils and 19 gold (0.30) or a Tactician Crown and 25 gold (0.25) or a Radiant item plus two Reforgers and 25 gold (0.25) or three five-cost units and 40 gold (0.20).
- Nine losses (30 Energy): Three Thieves Gloves, a Radiant item, and five gold (0.20) or two Spatulas and six item Components (0.15) or four completed item Anvils and 10 gold (0.20) or a Tactician Crown plus four four-cost units and 24 gold (0.25) or a Radiant item plus an Ornn Anvil plus a Reforger plus a Remover and 45 gold (0.15).
- Ten losses (40 Energy): Two Radiant items plus two Reforgers plus two Removers and 25 gold (0.30) or a Tactician Crown plus Ornn Anvil plus completed item Anvil and 20 gold (0.25) or three Radiant Thieves Gloves and 20 gold (0.20) or a Champion Duplicator plus a Radiant item plus a Reforger plus a Remover and 45 gold (0.15).
- Eleven losses (50 Energy): A Tactician Crown and 80 gold (0.30) or two Ornn Anvils plus a Radiant item plus a Reforger and 50 gold (0.30) or three Radiant Thieves Gloves and 20 gold (0.20) or six item Components plus a Tactician Crown and 30 gold (0.25).
- Twelve losses (60 Energy): Four Spatulas and 75 gold (0.25) or three Radiant items and 45 gold (0.25) or a Radiant item plus a Tactician Crown plus an Ornn Anvil plus a Reforger plus a Remover and 55 gold (0.25) or convert all regular items to Radiant items and receive a dynamic gold drop (0.25).
- Thirteen losses (70 Energy): Two Tactician Crowns plus two Champion Duplicators plus two Radiant items plus a Reforger and 15 gold (0.3) or two Radiant items plus two Reforgers plus one Tactician Crown and 75 gold (0.2) or six completed Anvils plus one Tactician Crown and 70 gold (0.2) or convert all regular items to Radiant ones and receive dynamic gold (0.1).
- Fourteen losses (80 Energy): TBD. Partial information is available through the 13.15 Patch Rundown.
The breakpoint of six within the TFT Set Nine Piltover trait offers bonus loot upon winning a combat round. Here are the potential loot options for each victory:
- Three gold: 30 percent
- Two gold: Zero percent
- Four-cost: Five percent
- Three-cost: 30 percent
- Two-cost and three-cost: 10 percent
- Two two-cost: 10 percent
- Spatula: Four percent
- One item Component: 10 percent
- Three Removers: One percent
Related: How TFT Zaun trait and Chem-Mods work in Set 9
Updated Aug. 1, 12:50pm CT: All modifications to the TFT Set Nine Piltover trait and loot table have been included.